Real Estate Agent – Finding the Right One
Some tips for finding the Real Estate Agent that’s right for you
A real estate agent can help you through what can be one of the most important, and most stressful events of your life – selling your house. If you’re still not sure if you need a real estate agent, check out our short discussion piece: Why Use A Real Estate Agent. However, once you have decided that a real estate agent is the way you want to go, you have to make sure that you find the real estate agent that’s right for you. This is a quick guide to doing just that.
What do Real Estate Agents do?
We all know that real estate agents sell houses. But selling a house is not as simple as it seems. The real estate agent will perform a number of tasks on your behalf. They will:
- Provide a realistic market appraisal of your property’s worth
- Advise you on the best method of sale – private sale vs auction
- Develop a marketing strategy for your property
- Implement that marketing strategy
- Consult on the best way to present your home
- Expose your property to as many potential buyers as possible
- Guide prospective buyers through your property
- Collect and present all offers
- Negotiate the best price possible with the buyer
- Help you make sure you’re meeting all of your legal obligations
- Help facilitate the exchange and settlement
With so many important responsibilities, choosing the right real estate agent is crucial. It is also important to understand just what you are asking of your real estate agent, before you enter into contract with them.
What to ask of your Real Estate Agent
Real estate agents have different strategies and different areas of focus. It can be difficult to to draw sensible comparisons between the services they offer sometimes.
There are two key things to ask the real estate agents in your area.
- How much do they think they will be able to get for your home?
- How much do their services cost, and what, specifically, is included?
It is tempting to go for the most optimistic sales price and the lowest fee. However, there’s no free lunch and like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
If a real estate agent offers you an optimistic evaluation, ask for proof. What have similar properties sold for? What makes your property different from other properties that have sold recently in your area?
Also find our exactly what the commission fee covers, and if there are any other charges likely to accrue along the way. A key area of differentiation can be in promotion. Open houses, for example, are effective but they’re also expensive. Other methods include newspaper advertising, letterbox drops, internet based exposure and so on. Don’t be afraid to ask why certain strategies have been included or excluded. You’re the one paying for it.
Real estate agents also often have a number of relationships that they can leverage to increase the exposure of your property. Check to see what extra they can offer in this regard, and if it is part of the service.
Also, if you are going to go down the auction road, what are their auctioneers like? Perhaps attend a few yourself and see if you like their style.
Results Speak for Themselves
Of course, the best way to understand the quality of service on offer is to compare real estate agents’ past performances. How much have they sold properties like yours for in the past?
This is exactly what whichrealestateagent.com.au does. It is a one stop-shop that makes it easy to understand exactly what a real estate agent’s track record is. We provide a free, independent report on real estate agents in your area. You will be able to see for yourself the performance data on all you local agents, as well as benchmark fee and commission rates. It also includes data on comparable properties sold and data on agent efficiency and price discounting.
Part of the choice of real estate agent comes down to style and preference. But at the end of the day, your property is one of your most valuable assets, and you want the best return you can get. The data found on whichrealestateagent.com.au makes it much easier to draw meaningful comparisons between real estate agents, and secure the best price possible for your house.
For more about our service and answers to some frequently asked questions check out our online FAQs or request your free report below today.
Fill out to receive your free report on the real estate agents in your area
Note we call to confirm inquiry. Details NOT given to agents. Free report only for qualified sellers.
About the author
Founder of Which Real Estate Agent.
An independent company helping Australians make informed decisions on which agent to use.
Request your free agent report and property valuation
Company Profile | Personal Profile
No related posts.
- 24/08/2016 • Property Market Update – 22 August 2016
- 16/08/2016 • Property Market Update – 15 August 2016
- 10/08/2016 • Do I Need A Building and Pest Inspection If I’m Buying at Auction?
- 10/08/2016 • How Long Does It Take To Sell A Property?
- 10/08/2016 • How Do I Get The Best Price For My Property?
- 09/08/2016 • Property Market Update – 08 August 2016