Search agent

Compare All West Ryde Agents

Rank individual agents by experience at selling similar properties to yours.

Try it now
Money Bag

Agent Fees & Marketing Costs

Instantly see average agent fees in West Ryde & marketing costs.

Search your suburb
House

Property Value Estimate

A current estimated value of your West Ryde property, before talking to the experts.

See current estimate

Free performance report on all West Ryde agents

There are 122 real estate agents servicing West Ryde and surrounds. In 2016 they sold 241 properties. We have analysed all these West Ryde agents and on request within 24 hours we will send you a free, up-to-date report on their performance, sales track record and what fees you should pay. View report contents

We are the only service in Australia that analyses all local agents and their performance, and provides this to you in a transparent and unbiased manner. View frequently asked questions

We pride ourselves on providing independent, insightful analysis on real estate agents. Read real client case studies to see how we continually exceed expectations. We never disclose your details to any agents unless you specifically instruct us to do so.

122 West Ryde Real Estate Agents Reviewed – Choose The Best

Real Estate Agents West Ryde – 2016/17 Performance

West Ryde Real Estate Agents sold 241 properties over the last 12 months (87 houses and 154 units). On average these 87 West Ryde houses took 48 days to sell and were sold at an average discount of -5% from their initial listing price. West Ryde units on average took 44 days to sell and were sold at an average discount of -6% from their initial listing price.

The best West Ryde Real Estate Agents sell properties considerably better than these average figures. We detail who these West Ryde agents are in our free report

Importantly it is the performance of the individual real estate agent rather than the agency used that matters. With over 122 agents operating in the Ryde council area servicing the West Ryde market and 46 agencies, vendors should only use those West Ryde agents who routinely deliver superior results for their clients. This is crucial to maximise their chances of securing the best possible price for their West Ryde property.

With total house growth of 28% over the last five years West Ryde agents have had it reasonably easy selling into an appreciating market. Units have fared better growing at 40%. Growth in West Ryde houses over the last year has been below the five year annual growth rate, coming in at 1% for houses (5yr average 6%) and below for units 6% (5yr average 8%).

Request your free report for the individual performance details of real estate agents in West Ryde and the properties they have sold over the last couple of years.

With West Ryde houses only selling on average every 11 years and units every 8 years, securing the best West Ryde real estate agent to manage this infrequent transaction is crucial.

At the end of the day choosing the best West Ryde real estate agent to sell your property can make years of difference to your personal financial situation.

Suburb Overview

West Ryde is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. West Ryde is located 16 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Ryde and is part of the Northern Suburbs area.

Ryde, North Ryde and East Ryde are separate suburbs. The suburbs of Denistone, Denistone West, Meadowbank and Melrose Park share the 2114 postcode with West Ryde.

West Ryde is an extension of Ryde, which was named after the 'Ryde Store', a business run by G.M. Pope. He adopted the name from his birthplace of Ryde on the Isle of Wight, UK.

West Ryde is one of 16 suburbs that form the City of Ryde. West Ryde is approximately 12 kilometres from the centre of Sydney and occupies most of the land between the Parramatta and Lane Cove rivers. It is bisected from west to east by one of Sydney's busiest roads, Victoria Road. It is crossed north to south by another main road, Lane Cove Road, and is skirted on the north-west by the M2 Motorway and Epping Road. At the time of the arrival of Europeans at Sydney Cove in January 1788, the Wallumedegal or Wallumede were the traditional owners of the area and they called it Wallumetta. This clan formed part of a large Dharug language group.

Throughout much of the nineteenth century, most of the land in West Ryde, Eastwood and Denistone was consolidated in a handful of large estates owned by a few of the colonial elites, notably the Blaxland and the Darvall families. Much of the land in this suburb lying to the west of the main northern railway line was originally granted to Dr William Balmain in the mid to late 1790s. Balmain was one of the assistant surgeons on the First Fleet, having sailed on the Alexander. He worked as a magistrate in the colony and, due to the shortage of money at that time, was paid with the labour of convicts to work on his land. However, it is not known how much clearing and cultivation was done during those years. In 1801 Balmain and his family returned to England, where he died in 1803. His heirs were Jane and John Henderson, his children by a convict woman, Margaret Dawson . While they were in England, the land was rented by the explorer Gregory Blaxland, who owned nearby Brush Farm. In 1818 the Balmain lands were sold to an ex-convict John Bennett. His nephew William was his heir. Soon after he inherited the land, William married Susan Brown. Initially the couple lived in John's old house which was near the intersection of Bellevue and Bigland avenues, but in 1836 they mortgaged part of their land to build a new house in what is now Meadowbank Park, Meadowbank. Major Edward Darvall and his family arrived in the colony in January 1840. He was a retired English army officer with strong family connections to the British East India Company. His wife Emily came from a long line of wealthy London merchants. In May 1840, the Darvalls leased Deniston Farm and 100 acres of land from a Dr Forster, for a period of 12 years. However, the property was again advertised to let in the Sydney Morning Herald on 8 March 1849. In 1855 William and Susan Bennett sold all their land north of Victoria Road to Major Darvall. The Darvall property stretched from Shaftsbury Road to Ryedale Road and from Rowe Street to Victoria Road, a total of 360 acres . They built a two-storey house, Ryedale House, during the late 1850s, now the site of St Columb's Anglican Church. The house was constructed of sandstone blocks. It is believed the Ryedale Estate was so named because of its closeness to Ryde and because Major Darvall came from the Yorkshire dales. The 50 acres nearest the house were planted with orchards, mainly citrus trees. The Darvalls lived in this house for nearly 70 years

In the 1880s, with the building of the railway line from Homebush to Hornsby, some estates were subdivided along its route. Landowners like Mrs Darvall sold parcels of their estates to the colonial government and by 1883 construction was well advanced. The railway bridge across the Parramatta River was completed in August 1886 and was followed by the opening of a single line track from Strathfield to Hornsby on 17 September 1886. Ryde was one of the seven stations of this line and one of only two that were built of brick. The new railway platforms at both West Ryde and Eastwood did not service commuters. They were for freight. By the end of the nineteenth century, some Darvall land had been sold, yet the bulk of the Ryedale Estate remained intact. Anthony Darvall started subdividing the land after his mother's death. The first subdivisions were between Clanalpine and Rowe streets in the north and between Anthony Road and West Parade in the south-east. Eventually Ryedale House and a small parcel of land were sold to the Anglican Church in the 1930s. The house was used as a rectory until the early 1970s when it was bought by private individuals who removed it, stone by stone, and re-erected it on a rural property in the Hunter Valley. All that remains at the original site is a small group of buildings, one of which is two-storey, with a blank end wall. This was a brick extension added to Ryedale House around 1900, probably when Anthony William and his family took up residence. Other twentieth-century subdivisions proposed included the Ryde New Township Estate in the Falconer and Hermitage Road area in 1906. By 1909 Ryde Heights, which was located on the southern side of Blaxland Road between Benson Lane and Melville Street was advertised as 'the pick of the district

Subdivision plans up to 1936 still advertised the railway station in West Ryde as Ryde Railway Station. This had been a source of contention for some time. Owing to the distance from Ryde village and the growth of this new settlement west of Ryde, the use of the term Ryde for the railway station soon became anomalous. In 1908 the Ermington-Rydalmere Council tried unsuccessfully to persuade Ryde aldermen that the name should be Ermington. West Ryde as a locality was gradually evolving. It was officially designated a postal area in October 1926. West Ryde Public School was called Meadowbank until 1930. In 1929 an attempt was made to change the name of the station to West Ryde. This request, reiterated from time to time, was finally granted in October 1945. West Ryde has a busy commercial centre based around Victoria Road and the railway station. The beginnings of a commercial centre here followed the opening of the railway in 1886 and the subdivision of the Meriam Hill Estate on the eastern side of the railway in 1888. The railway hotel was built on the corner of Victoria and Ryedale Roads in 1892 and a handful of shops established themselves nearby in the following decade. West Ryde's shopping centre was transformed in the 1950s, on the initiative of Bill Graf, a developer with an eye on the rapidly developing residential area just to the west. It was here that the Dundas Valley Estate was emerging as the largest Housing Commission project in Sydney. In a period of three years, more than 40 new shops were built, as well as six banks, two restaurants, a service station and a new post office.

The Ryde Pumping Station is a significant piece of infrastructure located in West Ryde. The Sydney Water Board had taken over the water supply for Sydney from the City Council in 1888. Almost immediately, a temporary pumping station was established at North Sydney. It was dismantled in 1892 when supply became available from a new station built in West Ryde that same year. By 1908 the station had switched to steam turbines, a first for the Board and possibly for Australia. The present Ryde Pumping Station was built on adjacent land and opened in September 1921. The old station ceased operating in 1930, its remaining plant was auctioned and the pump house was used as a store. The building was demolished in 1961. The Ryde Pumping Station, now fully electrically operated, supplies water to many Northern Sydney suburbs. It is the largest water pumping station in Australia.

West Ryde is home to a commercial area, close to West Ryde railway station and the Sydney Water Station, that pumps water to most of Northern Sydney.

West Ryde Marketplace is a medium sized shopping centre featuring a Woolworths supermarket, specialty shops and West Ryde Public Library. Since the new centre opened in 2005, it diverted many people from the ageing Top Ryde Shopping Centre, which subsequently closed and has now been redeveloped.

West Ryde railway station is on the Northern railway line of Sydney's CityRail network. A bus interchange sits adjacent the station with services of 501, 520, 523 524, 534 and 543.

Blenheim Road NSW 2113
Meadowbank NSW 2114
Melrose Park NSW 2114
Macquarie Park NSW 2113
East Ryde NSW 2113
West Ryde NSW 2114
Marsfield NSW 2122
Denistone NSW 2114
Macquarie Centre NSW 2113
Ryde NSW 2112
Eastwood NSW 2122
Denistone East NSW 2112
Tennyson Point NSW 2111
Putney NSW 2112
Denistone West NSW 2114
Monash Park NSW 2111
Gladesville NSW 2111
North Ryde NSW 2113