Search agent

Compare All Portarlington Agents

Rank individual agents by experience at selling similar properties to yours.

Try it now
Money Bag

Agent Fees & Marketing Costs

Instantly see average agent fees in Portarlington & marketing costs.

Search your suburb

Property Value Estimate

A current estimated value of your Portarlington property, before talking to the experts.

See current estimate

Free performance report on all Portarlington agents

There are 45 real estate agents servicing Portarlington and surrounds. In 2016 they sold 87 properties. We have analysed all these Portarlington agents and on request within 24 hours we will send you a free, up-to-date report on their performance, sales track record and what fees you should pay. View report contents

We are the only service in Australia that analyses all local agents and their performance, and provides this to you in a transparent and unbiased manner. View frequently asked questions

We pride ourselves on providing independent, insightful analysis on real estate agents. Read real client case studies to see how we continually exceed expectations. We never disclose your details to any agents unless you specifically instruct us to do so.

Real Estate Agents Portarlington – 2016/17 Performance

Portarlington Real Estate Agents sold 87 properties over the last 12 months (71 houses and 16 units). On average these 71 Portarlington houses took 136 days to sell and were sold at an average discount of -10% from their initial listing price. Portarlington units on average took 143 days to sell and were sold at an average discount of -5% from their initial listing price.

The best Portarlington Real Estate Agents sell properties considerably better than these average figures. We detail who these Portarlington agents are in our free report

Importantly it is the performance of the individual real estate agent rather than the agency used that matters. With over 45 agents operating in the Greater Geelong council area servicing the Portarlington market and 17 agencies, vendors should only use those Portarlington agents who routinely deliver superior results for their clients. This is crucial to maximise their chances of securing the best possible price for their Portarlington property.

With total house growth of 40% over the last five years Portarlington agents have had it reasonably easy selling into an appreciating market. Units have fared better growing at 58%. Growth in Portarlington houses over the last year has been below the five year annual growth rate, coming in at 1% for houses (5yr average 8%) and above for units 14% (5yr average 12%).

Request your free report for the individual performance details of real estate agents in Portarlington and the properties they have sold over the last couple of years.

With Portarlington houses only selling on average every 10 years and units every 9 years, securing the best Portarlington real estate agent to manage this infrequent transaction is crucial.

At the end of the day choosing the best Portarlington real estate agent to sell your property can make years of difference to your personal financial situation.

Suburb Overview

Portarlington is a historic coastal township located on the Bellarine Peninsula, 27km from the city of Geelong, in the state of Victoria, Australia. The gently rising hills behind the town feature vineyards and olive groves, overlooking Port Phillip Bay. Portarlington is a popular family holiday destination and a centre of fishing and aquaculture. At one time the town claimed the largest caravan park in the Southern Hemisphere, although the size has reduced considerably in recent decades. At the 2006 census, Portarlington had a population of 3,021. Portarlington also has a large number of Maltese, Croatian, Italian and Islander immigrants.

In 2002, the Victorian Coastal Strategy report named Portarlington as a potential site for a multi-million dollar Safe Harbour development on the Bellarine Peninsula. In December 2005, private independent consultants delivered a feasibility study which identified Portarlington as the preferred site for the development.

The First Inhabitants The area around Portarlington was originally inhabited by the aboriginal Wathaurong people. Aboriginal shell middens can be found along the cliff-line at Portarlington. Mussels are the dominant shell species in evidence, demonstrating the importance of mussels to the area, even in pre-historic times. A ground-edged stone axe has been found at Portarlington. A stone artifact scatter also existed at a nearby site, but has been destroyed by development. Another stone artifact scatter has been identified at Point Richards, in the west of the town.

The Port Phillip area was first significantly explored by Europeans in January 1802, when Lieutenant John Murray spent three weeks investigating the Bay entrance. He does not appear to have landed at Portarlington. Ten weeks later, the English explorer, Matthew Flinders, camped at Indented Head, 6km to the south-east of Portarlington, where he traded with aborigines while undertaking a survey of the Australian coastline. He subsequently landed several times briefly on the peninsula coast to take bearings, including at the location of Portarlington, and also at Point Richards. In February 1803, the Surveyor-General Charles Grimes landed from his ship, the Cumberland, at Portarlington with an expedition and spent several days exploring the Bay coastline to Point Cook. They were impressed by the fine pasture and soil in the Bellarine Hills. They sailed back from Point Cook to Portarlington and landed again, where they were met by aboriginals. They traded food and utensils, however other provisions were stolen from their boat in their absence. Some evidence of smallpox among the locals was noted at that time.

Apart from the likely wanderings of the escaped English convict, William Buckley, who lived among the Wautharong people around the Bellarine Peninsula for 32 years after escaping into the bush in 1803, there was little European contact with the area until the arrival of the pioneer settler, John Batman, and his Port Phillip Association expedition in 1835. Batman established a base camp at Indented Head, and proceeded to survey the interior of the peninsula. Batman wrote glowing reports of the pasture and grazing potential of the Bellarine Hills, with a view of attracting interest in establishing sheep runs in the Port Phillip area. Further exploration was carried out by John Helder Wedge later in 1835, with Batman's encouragement, and Wedge is believed to have again passed through the vicinity of Portarlington. He was also much impressed by the countryside, which he named "Ballarine", but discovering the scarcity of fresh water, he directed his attentions elsewhere. When the first organised group of settlers arrived from Van Diemen's Land aboard the Enterprize in August 1835, they sought out the well watered northern reaches of Port Phillip, around the Yarra River. Wedge and the Batman party quickly abandoned Bellarine and Indented Head and followed them there.

When the holdings of the Port Phillip Association were allocated, the Bellarine Peninsula was allotted to the member, John Sinclair, who was the Superintendent of the Engineers' Depot in Launceston. Sinclair was injured in February 1837, when he came to Port Phillip and attempted to visit his property. His two companions, Joseph Gellibrand and George Hesse, who continued the journey without him, disappeared, and no trace of them was ever found. Sinclair was evacuated back to Melbourne from Point Henry and made no further effort to take up his allotted land, although he remained in the Port Phillip District. By 1839 the Port Phillip Association had been bought out by the Derwent Company, which sold a number of runs on the Bellarine Peninsula and Indented Head to squatters, before folding in 1842.

Among the earliest known settlers in the vicinity of Portarlington was the former Hobart butcher, Henry Baynton, who was recorded there in the 1840's. Baynton established a cattle shipping service between Portarlington and Van Diemen's Land. He is believed to have had a station named Westham, which may have occupied a site near the derelict homestead now known as Lincoln's Farm, overlooking Point Richards. Baynton also had interests at Cowie's Creek, across the Bay. Baynton possibly sold out to John Brown, who is identified as the owner of a Point Richards station in 1847. Other squatters known to have had property around the Portarlington area in the 1840's include William Booth, James Conway Langdon, and William Harding. In 1848 new land regulations were introduced, and the squatters' runs were subdivided into smaller allotments over the following years. By the early 1850's the era of the squatters had passed on the Bellarine Peninsula.

The township of Portarlington was formally surveyed around 1850 and was at that time named Drayton. It was renamed Portarlington in 1851, reportedly in honour of the English peer, Sir Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington, however it is also suggested, and perhaps seems more likely, owing to the number of early Irish settlers in the area, that the town was actually named after the town in Ireland bearing the same name, Portarlington, which was itself founded by Sir Henry Bennet in 1666. The newly surveyed township was neatly laid out, with broad streets, and planted with English elms and pines.

The first sale of town lots in Portarlington took place on 22 October 1851. It was described in the Geelong Advertiser newspaper as a "new township at Indented Head" and buyers were confident that it would quickly become "a place of importance". The first buyers were mainly speculators, so although the lots initially sold well, few purchasers settled on their lots, and the town was slow to fill.

A steam-powered flour mill opened in 1857, and after a competing mill in nearby Drysdale was destroyed by fire in 1861 the development of Portarlington began to progress more rapidly. The mill owners built a private jetty and began receiving grain shipments from Geelong, and returning processed flour and bran. Around this time, the Bellarine Peninsula was regarded as the granary of the Victorian colony. A Post Office opened on 1 March 1863.

By 1865, the population of Portarlington had passed 200, and the town boasted two hotels and a blacksmith's shop. The Wesleyan congregation, who were the most numerous, built the town's first church in 1866. Before this they had conducted their services at the mill.

Clifton Springs VIC 3222
St Leonards VIC 3223
Swan Bay VIC 3225
Breamlea VIC 3227
Balliang VIC 3340
Staughton Vale VIC 3221
Little River VIC 3211
Indented Head VIC 3223
Drysdale VIC 3222
Barwon Heads VIC 3227
Marcus Hill VIC 3222
Curlewis VIC 3222
Wallington VIC 3221
Mannerim VIC 3222
Ocean Grove VIC 3226
Avalon VIC 3212
Anakie VIC 3221
Portarlington VIC 3223
Bellarine VIC 3221